Diese Website verwendet Cookies, die für die Funktionalität der Site notwendig sind. Wenn Sie mehr über die genutzten Cookies erfahren möchten, lesen Sie sich bitte unsere Ausführungen zu Cookies in unserer Datenschutzerklärung durch.

Indem Sie dieses Banner schließen, die Seite nach unten scrollen, einen Link anklicken oder Ihre Recherche auf andere Weise fortsetzen, erklären Sie sich mit dem Gebrauch von Cookies auf unserer Site einverstanden.

What else you need to know

How does the Employer’s Liability Insurance Association (= accident insurance – SVLFG) help after an accident at work?

Accidents can always happen. You are insured with the Employer's Liability Insurance Association against accidents that happen during work or on the way to work or back to your accommodation.

After receiving treatment from the first aider or a doctor, it is important to report the accident to the foreman or boss. If an employee is absent from work for more than 3 days or even dies, the company must report the accident to the Employer's Liability Insurance Association (accident report). This is compulsory in Germany. The Employer's Liability Insurance Association will help you to get well again quickly. You don’t have to pay anything for this. The boss will continue to pay your wages for 6 weeks. After that, the Employer's Liability Insurance Association pays injury benefit. This is slightly less than the actual salary. 

What should you do when you are ill?

Vergrößerung des Bildes für .

If you are sick and cannot work, see a doctor. But inform your foreman or your boss beforehand.

Take your European Health Insurance Card (EHIC) with you to the doctor. The visit to the doctor does not cost you anything. If the doctor puts you on sick leave for a prolonged period of time, you will receive a certificate (certificate of incapacity for work) from the doctor’s surgery/office. You then have to give this to your boss. In Germany, you have the right to choose your own doctor.

If you need a doctor: DIAL 116 117 (only in German)

Working Tools and Protective Equipment 

The boss must provide you free of charge with all of the working equipment you need for your work. If the tool is broken or dangerous, tell the foreman or the boss. They will make sure that the tool is repaired. 

Your boss or foreman will show or explain to you how to use the tool or machine correctly so that no accidents happen and you will not get injured (safety instruction).  

Putting on Protective Equipment

In order to ensure that you are well protected from accidents or illnesses at work, your boss or foreman will give you some protective equipment (PPE). For example: safety shoes, gloves, a sun protection hat, hearing protection, safety goggles. You have to wear these when he tells you to. If you do not wear the PPE, he can write you a warning letter or dismiss you. 

Reporting Damage to Machines or Equipment

Something has broken on a machine or device. Or you have broken something. That can always happen. However, it is important that you report it immediately to the foreman or the boss. Only when the machine or the device has been repaired again can no one be injured or harmed by it.

Vergrößerung des Bildes für .
Important: you have to sign the instruction.

In order for you to be able to operate the equipment and machines you are working with properly without injuring yourself, your boss or foreman must show or explain to you how they work (safety instruction). You have to take part in the training and sign afterwards that you have understood everything. 

This is important for the insurance. The company must provide the instruction (training) in such a way that you also understand everything. Pay close attention: you will learn where it is dangerous for you to work and how you can protect yourself properly. 

Working Environment

Vergrößerung des Bildes für .


Toilets must be available in the immediate vicinity of the accommodation with running water, soap and disposable hand towels. 

Health Insurance

Vergrößerung des Bildes für .

Working up to 70 days in Germany

If you work in Germany for less than 71 days per year and do not carry out the work professionally, you are considered to be employed on a short-term basis. If you are also employed in your home country with compulsory social insurance, you must provide proof of this with an A1 certificate. This means that you are covered by health insurance for the first 70 days.

If you do not have an A1 certificate, you are only insured against accidents in the company, but not against illness. Make sure that you have valid insurance for illness in Germany (European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). Talk to your boss about this.

Extension over 70 Working Days

If you would like to extend your working time beyond 70 days, your boss must register you with the German social security system.

Frequently Asked Questions

Vergrößerung des Bildes für .